I’ve talked about how I was just about the pickiest eater as a child. Very few foods were deemed worthy of having the honor to pass between my lips. Chickpeas were no exception to this belief; it was only because I was guilted into trying my mother’s homemade hummus that I first tasted the bean.
That first mouthful of hummus was like a gateway drug into the chickpea world. I never refuse chickpeas now and am not above doing crazy things for a plateful of one of my favorite Indian dishes, chana masala. So when I spotted this chickpea salad in the pages of Jamie’s cookbook, I just had to give it a try.
It’s an incredibly simple, tasty and filling recipe. Chickpeas, fresh tomatoes, basil and mint with crumbled feta and a few squeezes of lemon? Talk about a dish that’s bound to be on my menu repeatedly as the weather continues to warm up.
Adapted from Jamie’s Dinners
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1-2 fresh red chilies, deseeded
- 2 handfuls of ripe or red yellow tomatoes
- 2 lemons
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 410g canned chickpeas
- A handful of chopped fresh mint
- A handful of fresh chopped basil
- 200g/7 oz crumbled feta cheese
- Finely slice the red onion and chilies. Chop the tomatoes and combine them with the onion and chilies in a mixing bowl. Add the juice of the lemons and a healthy amount of the extra virgin olive oil (approximately 3x as much as the lemon juice added). Season to taste.
- Heat the chickpeas in a pan, then add 90 percent of the chickpeas to the mixing bowl. Mash the remaining 10 percent of the chickpeas, then add the mashed ones as well.
- Just before serving, toss the mixture and add the fresh mint and basil. Top off with the crumbled feta cheese.